Raw meat products may contain bacteria that could cause illness if handled inappropriately. Treat these products as you would any other fresh, raw meat products.
- Wash working surfaces, utensils, feeding bowls and hands with hot soapy water after each feeding.
- Minimise temperature changes. Raw pet food should be kept frozen until ready to be used.
- Do not allow raw pet food to thaw unless you are going to use the food within 2-3 days (depending on the efficacy of your refrigerator).
- Excess food should be refrigerated for the next feeding or discarded. Do not refreeze once thawed.
- Do not microwave.
- Always assess the freshness of the remainder of raw pet food products kept in your refrigerator to ensure they are suitable for feeding and have not spoiled.
- Thaw over 1-2 days in the refrigerator. Do not leave raw pet food products out on your bench to thaw as inadvertent fluctuations in the temperature of the products can increase the likelihood of harmful bacteria developing.